Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Change the message"



I had to post this video. If you have time, listen closely to it. It made me cry. It starts off with random people or society, and people of power, talking about how homosexuality is wrong. Some things that were said really stuck my heart. I woanted my classmates to watch this because in class we talk about how its okay. You all see me being as open and care free of others, but thats not as easy as it seems. It takes an extremly strong indivdual to do that. But, towards the end of this clip you hear Ellen say, "CHANGE THE MESSAGE.. ITS OKAY TO BE GAY" And that right there is what made me smile, and thats what I am trying to do. To show you all, I am the same. Theres no reason to be homophobic.

Today in work a customer was talking about the current Maine issue on homosexuality. Legislature passed a bill saying homosexuals could get married, but when this was brought to the people, it was voted against, which is really sad. This customer asked me my thoughts on the issue, so I told him. He disagreed like I knew he would since he has said before how he was very conservative. He told me that the main issue is.. if homosexuals could get married, revolved around the cathloic chruch. Priests would have to marry homosexual couples (even if he and the bible are against it) since the state would allow them to do so. This is why he is so against homosexual marriage. Personally, my interpretation of the bibles attitude towards homosexuality is different than his but thats another topic. So he doesnt feel that it should be legal, because priests in the Christian Church shouldnt be forced, in his eyes, to marry people of the same sex just because the state made it legal.

Secondly, him and another customer than went off saying that it shouldnt be legal because gay couples shouldnt have children because its "not right for children to be raised like that." I just said okay, and let it go. Because my dad would of got mad if i started arguing with a customer. So basically, this points it down to church and state. But, god created all people. He is loving and compassionate. Theres a reason God created Gay people. I didnt choice to be gay. Yes its hard, but its me and im happy I am the way I am. I would never want to change who I am, and I wouldnt have it any other way. My personal goal is to show people that theres nothing wrong with homosexuality. Look at me. I am just like all of you. Why cant I have children or get married. I will raise my kids amazing. Just as good as any so called "normal" family can. But then again, what is normal?

But on a happier note, in this next video, I felt connected to it since I love myself and my sexual orientation :) I would never pretend to be anything else. I want to teach others about homosexuality and widen their vision. I want to help change the world and others perceptions. You dont have to agree with what I say, just listen and try to understand where I am coming from. It will make you a better person. Dont judge anybody. Look within. Not at.

2 comments:

  1. Hey hun-
    Tough time huh? Keep your head up- because WE are strong, and every minute we exist we are teaching that there are things to be grateful for, and that pride, dignity and faith in the understanding of ourselves will get us through anything. Thank you for reminding others that it is not a choice- and thank you twice for letting others know that if it was, you wouldnt choose different. There is power in that.
    Keep on truckin'
    Chris
    btw for what its worth I think your right about the kids thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing post. SO much information and emotion here. Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete